Skip to main content

Identity


Who are you? Who am I? I can’t tell you who you are, only you can tell yourself that. I can only tell you who I am. I am saved by the grace of God. I am a warrior. I am a survivor. I am resilient. I am undefeated. I am fearless. I am bold. I am a daughter. I am a worker. I am a church goer. I have a blog. I care about my family a lot. I am an auntie. I care about my friends a lot. I have two cats. And I have a mental illness called Bipolar 1. There are a lot of other things that define me and the list can go on for days but that is just a synopsis.


This is how I used to define myself: I am a walking contradiction, I wear my heart on my sleeve, I am wreckless, I am carefree, I love with all my heart, I am too nice, I am too giving.

Self-talk is important. It is super critical. How do you view yourself and how do you define yourself? What do you say to yourself and what do you say about yourself? Are you always talking bad about yourself? Are you always bringing yourself down and bringing shame to yourself?

You are your biggest critic. It’s not other people. It starts with you. You need to start having a positive impact on yourself. You need to start looking in the mirror and loving on yourself.

I went to the Luke Bryan concert on Sunday and I was so tired yesterday so I texted my mom and I said “mom I am so tired.” She said to me, “Mel you are not tired it is all in your mind.” I responded back “hahahaha” with a bunch of laughing emojis with tears running down its face. She responded “See at least you are laughing.” From that moment on I mustered up all the strength I had to make it through the day because I changed the way I talked to myself. I laughed about how tired I was instead of being miserable about how tired I was.

What do you say to yourself when you talk to yourself? Do you speak life or do you speak death? It is so easy to fall into a negative mindset and speak down to yourself. It is so easy to discourage yourself about all the bad things that are happening in your life and all the mistakes you are making.

Why not look at the mistakes as lessons and move forward from that point? Why not forgive yourself and give yourself grace and change your life around and let this be a turning point towards victory?

Living with a mental illness is hard, and my good, harsh reality check friend reminded me yesterday of the deep dark place I had once been in. So I was there too. And if there is hope for me there is hope for you. And if you are struggling with thinking you’re not good enough or worthy enough because of your past then adapt a new identity and give your life to Christ and become a new person because he forgives you.

The point of this is to start changing the way you think about yourself and it will start changing your life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Delicate

This is a very delicate topic so I am going to be as sensitive about it as possible. You see all 3 of my breakdowns had one thing in common, i abused stimulants. I was prescribed them but i was not using them as medically prescribed. I would use them to stay up all night and study for my exams or to be that little bit of extra productive at my serving shift. I did take the adhd test and was clinically diadnosed as adhd BUT adhd can mirror Bipolar and the way my psychiatrist explained  to me was that if i were on the right medication to begin with i wouldnt have found the need to abuse prescription stimulants in the first place. This happened for my breakdowns in 2010 and 2013. In 2016 it was different. I was NOT abusing stimulants, i was using vyvanse as medically prescribed and slowly adding in strattera when i added in strattera that is when things started going south. So it is always a question in the back of my head of whether or not i am just not capable of taking stimulants or w

In the beginning

I have not been able to fully be THIS alive in 9 years. I am loving every minute of it. In the past 9 years, every 3 years I have had an episode that has torn me down and made me restart my life. The most recent was 2016, the time before that was 2013, and the first was 2010. This is the first time I have broken that 3 year curse and successfully exceeded past the miserable Spring time that brings on my infamous breakdowns. I was 23 when my first episode struck. I was a server at Olive Garden and I was also living with two roommates out in Virginia Beach. I remember the day that my dad knew something was wrong very vividly. I don’t remember the whole day, I just remember a moment of the day. I was on break, I was working a double. I walked out the back door to smoke a cigarette and I walked down to the pond. This was totally out of character and something I would normally never do. I called my Dad and I told him “I love you.” He immediately knew something was wrong. He asked me w

Delusions

I had just come home from Walgreens. I spent almost 100 dollars on ink pens. They were on sale. It was my favorite type of ink pens. G2, in every color. I sat in my chair at my desk and I started zoning in and out of reality. My mind was completely blank. I just sat there staring into an empty hallway. Thinking of absolutely nothing. I felt like a complete zombie. My mind was not racing. I was not hearing voices. I was just sitting there in silence. Zoning. My roommate found me and said we need to call your dad. The night before, I was up all night long. I was talking to our cat Tinkerbell(?) having a conversation about a guy who I thought I was dating who I also thought was playing hide and seek with me. I was having a delusion. It was the first time I had ever experienced a delusion before. I had read about it in Psychology class, because I was a psychology major at the time and I was taking abnormal psychology but I had never experienced it. When you experience a delusion, y